Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Quest #1: Rock Climbing

Quest #1: I will go to a Rock Climbing Gym.

Here's a couple reasons why this task is special.

First off, I'm not a small girl and not exactly in the realm of the "physically fit", but I'd like to be moreso. The "gym" bores me - the stale, sweaty air and the monotonous routines. I need to do something that challenges me in a different way. So, when a friend took up rock climbing last month, I figured this would be a good time to give this quest a try. When a Groupon.com offer provided a 58% off discount at the local rock climbing gym... I knew my time has come.

I'm not terribly afraid of the fact that I am somewhat out of shape. I'm also not afraid of my lack of grace or agility, inability to tie a rope, or the fact that I am going to be wearing borrowed shoes (think: bowling).

What I am afraid of is heights.Now, many people are "afraid of heights". Like many fears, it comes in varying degrees and capacities. I would put mine in the pretty bad, but hopeful category. To give you perspective:
  • When attempting to go to the top of a light house last year, I hyperventilated
  • I had a panic attack at a rock concert when my seats were up in the nose bleed section
  • I couldn't utilize the gigantic escalator at the subway station near my home and ended up walking up and down 6 flights of stairs for 2 months
  • Once, when going over a relatively high walking bridge, I broke down in a fit of hysteria and fell to my knees

As you can see, I most likely fall into the more extreme fear category. Combine this with some vertigo issues, and I'm a ton of fun on top of a tower.

So why rock climbing? Well, because I used to have some pretty awesome upper body strength in my teen years. I like the look and feel of the rock climbing walls I've tried out at the local playgrounds (yes, seriously). And, while my fear of heights is pretty extreme, once I have the support I need and do tasks in a repetitive manner, I find that it diminishes my fear over time.

You see, I don't want to be "that" girl. The one you can't take with you on certain trips and events because she's a big giant fraidy-cat who can't take an escalator. I don't expect that I'm ever going to love heights and go jumping out of airplanes, but I would like to get to the point where they don't hinder my every day activities.

I have my coupons for Quest #1: Rock Climbing. I'm bringing Zinc and my BFF. While they are both patient and understanding of my fear, I hope they bring some Valium. They are going to need it.


XOXO
LuckyBroad

4 comments:

  1. I love your personal challenge! Salute & good luck girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I have to wear rented shoes?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies!
    Miss Scandalous, I hope this means you are planning on coming with me!
    Luckybroad

    ReplyDelete
  4. well done!! you rock!! good luck with the quest.

    ReplyDelete